Sunday, August 3, 2008

So, it's all over

I missed the announcements, being out for the evening, and I must confess to being both surprised and not surprised upon reading the results online.

Not particularly surprised at Konstantin Shamray's first placing. I'm sure it was well-deserved in some sense. I didn't like much of his playing until the Prokofiev this afternoon, but that was pretty magical.

But Tatiana Kolesova for second place? What? WHY? Surely Ran Dank and Takashi Sato both well and truly bested her. Sigh. Whatever... I liked her in the early rounds, but she lacked spirit later on.

Having had time to digest things, I think I would've put it like this:

1. Ran Dank
2. Takashi Sato
3. Konstantin Shamray
4. Eric Zuber
5. Tomoki Kitamura
6. Tatiana Kolesova

Bit of a change from my earlier preferences, excepting Ran Dank, but that's how I felt it.
One can't always agree with the judges, and this one doesn't. Not this time. But... such are competitions.

It's late, and I'm off to sleep.

3 comments:

mozartlover said...

I completely agree with your assessment. I was aghast that they didn't choose Ran Dank, who has a dynamic stage presence, phenomenal technique, boldness and sensitivity all in one fabulous package. Why, indeed? I am wondering.

Lady Blogger said...

I didn't even see him live, but I sensed that Ran Dank had terrific stage presence. Sometimes that comes across the airwaves equally well.

Then again, I've only once agreed with the chosen winner.

Anonymous said...

I can't help thinking the real reason they didn't give Ran Dank the prize he deserved is simply that he is from Israel, which is irrationally hated by many. Ran Dank's final recital after the winning announcement again proved clearly that he was the true winner. There was a strong crying to God for his persecution in that final recital, which it made an unforgettably powerful and intense performance.