Thursday, August 21, 2008

In which LadyBlogger has been... *gasp*... PRACTICING!

Indeed. I have been somewhat inactive with my blogging because I have been making music of my own, as opposed to commenting on the music-making of others. It is a pleasant change. I am preparing for a few different things coming up - getting up and trotting out my wares, so to speak...

One thing I tend to forget after a break from piano practice is that it takes time to rebuild callouses formed from practicing glissandi. Two of the pieces in my current repertoire have glissandi, and I've actually drawn blood from jumping in there a little too vigorously. Ouch!

Unfortunately, I have yet again proven that if I actually had the mental fortitude to give this piano thing a real go, I could be rather good at it. More than rather, in fact. Possibly tending towards very or even extremely. Every time I make this realisation it upsets me a little. I wonder if I have squandered a gift that I shouldn't have squandered. Then I remember that I actually really like doing what it is that I plan to do for a living. I like it a LOT. I love it, in fact. So I rest my case.

eventually. right now I'm at the point of saying that I remember that I love what I already do, and yet I haven't quite felt it yet. Part of me will always be wistful that I didn't take my last piano teacher's advice and go for it. Yet the larger part knows that I made the right decision, and I followed my heart.

Anyway I have dragged myself away from the big black shiny thing in the music room and I am going to have a well-deserved TV break. Give those cuticles some time to heal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your description of your relationship with the piano. I think many musicians have felt the same way.