Tuesday, July 29, 2008

SIPCA Mozart... take 1!

Ran Dank has just finished a very well-received Mozart D minor.

I wish I'd heard the rest of it, only managed to catch half of the final movement. Ah well. I was actually watching Scrubs on Foxtel... nothing like a bit of silly comedy!

Pity, though, I missed probably the one pianist I'd really like to see win this thing. Well anyway I'll hear his Prokofiev 3, which will be something to behold I'm sure.

G. W. likes it. he's saying MASTERFUL. I wish I'd heard it. Whoops.

Next we have Tomoki Kitamura, who will play the first of the two G major concerti he has chosen.

I have had several glasses of red wine, and am rather head-fuzzy so my commentary may become less than lucid. Then again, it might just get better!!!

Nicholas Milton is talking talking talking. I want to hear Tomoki!

OK here we go. K 453 in G major. Very nice. Very clean. Excellent choice for him. Pretty flawless and beautiful so far. Very nice 1st movement cadenza.

Just spilled red wine on self, must clean up before posting further. Oops!

Loved the 1st movement. 2nd movement has wonderful simplicity and directness. There's a boldness of attack that I very much like. Boldness and delicacy. There's not a lot else to say. Or I can't think of it anyway.

3rd movement is whizzing by in a very pleasant manner. I like Mr. Kitamura's playing very much. I don't know if it inspires devotion in me, but it is nice all the same. I certainly envy his ability to not make mistakes. Something I never quite mastered.

Audience loves it. I'm sure I love it too... or am I? Hmm. He's no John Chen, but he's damn good for his age. Mind you he is small and cute-looking which the punters always like. G. W. is back now. He likes it. Of course. Apparently it suited Tomoki very well. Yes. I think so too.
Except G. W. doesn't like it as much as he liked Ran Dank I think. Me neither, I think. However I am not so sure.

I don't care so much anymore, now that Mariangela Vacatello and Hoang Pham aren't in it anymore. Or maybe it's the red wine? Wheeeeeee!

OK. Interval. So. I didn't like The Piano Shop on the Left Bank when I read it myself. I like it even less when I hear someone else reading it. Oh thank goodness it's over.

Oh GOOD! Tatiana Kolesova. She better not be vanilla, or I'll scream. She's convincing me thus far. It's full of passion and vitality. Chocolate, maybe. Cherries? Hmm.
Oh yes. I like a cadenza that goes to the furthest possible key (E flat major) immediately! Very good. Some dropped notes but who cares? I sure don't. Especially given I can't do it myself so who am I to criticise?

In fact, one could say that about this entire blog. Therefore I retract that comment.

Yes. This is nice, but I liked what I heard of Ran Dank better. Yup. definitely. He's my new pick, based on tonight's head-fuzzy observations. However, this is a romantic, soulful interpretation from Ms. Kolesova, that has many meritous qualities. Is that a word? Well it is now.

Audience is going madly crazy! the deep voice of Gerard is now upon us. He says she was more physical and muscular than Ran Dank and he thinks overstated. Fair enough. Yes, agreed that it's very capable. He thinks Mozart isn't her. Fair enough.

Well. That's it for my red wine-induced commentary for this evening! Back tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, in case you haven't checked ABC FM's website, all Stage V Mozart will be available as audio on demand if you would like to hear all of Ran Dank's performance last night.

Enjoying your output, where do you find the time???

Lady Blogger said...

Thanks for the reminder! I had, in fact, forgotten that it's available on demand. I'll check it out.

Re finding the time, I wish I didn't have it. Which is a cryptic answer but the only one I am willing to give at this point! :-)