Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ran Dank's Mozart - a belated listen

I was in a seemingly unassailable good mood earlier today. However, this mood has since been assailed in a rather serious manner. What else for it but to take the reminder from a kind blog commenter and have a listen to Ran Dank's Mozart on the ABC website?

Very glad I am doing so. It is indeed masterful playing and if this man doesn't win the competition I will be very cross. Therefore I am preparing to be very cross, because aside from the extremely mind-bogglingly brilliant John Chen, my favourites have never won. In 1996 (when I was just a slip of a girl but still had very clear opinions) it was the incredible Gabor Rosza, who shockingly didn't make it past the semifinals... with Brahms like his? For goodness' sake. I still remember it. Ah well. In 2000, Ayako Uehara was the clear winner in my mind, followed closely by Henry Wong Doe (yet another wonderful pianist from New Zealand. Is there something in the water?) and yet the utterly boring Marina Kolomiitseva took the honours. Unbelievable.

Such maturity and refinement. Glorious. I really do love this concerto, especially when played as well as this. Oh, what a wonderful cadenza! Spellbinding. Stunning. Ran Dank, although one of the older competitors, falls into the 'ageless genius' category I keep harping on about.

The start of the second movement is utterly wow. W.O.W.

I don't have much to say. This is good. Final movement is incredibly exciting. Well, I remember it from the other night.

BRAVO.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)