Sunday, November 2, 2008

On reflection, and hearing the radio broadcast

I do love when my initial impressions are confirmed on second hearing. I listened, of course, to the Mathy Awards broadcast on the radio yesterday. It was fabulous for many reasons - one of the best being that I could hear Shane Lowrencev's singing FAR better, and I loved it. What an utterly fabulous voice and such intelligence in his singing!

Anyway. The radio microphone has a way of amplifying defects that may not be heard in the theatre. This was interesting. Sitiveni Talei came through this process relatively unscathed. A few short-breathed phrases aside (and everyone suffered from this - nerves are a nasty thing and entirely forgiveable!), his sound was rich and warm the whole way through, and the lovely musical phrasing was just as much in evidence. I liked his Papageno aria even better on second hearing.

Sometimes, when I hear music performed really well, I just smile and I can't stop smiling. This happened to me yesterday.

I shall be discreet about what I thought of the second singer, and simply say that she sounded an awful lot better from further away. The other two were polished and lovely. Sky Ingram seemed to be flatter in pitch than I remember hearing - perhaps the radio microphone wasn't picking up some of the higher overtones in the voice. Not sure. All the same, I enjoyed the Mathy Awards immensely on second listening. Still 100% behind their choice of winner, too! What a talented guy with a fabulous voice and huge potential for the future!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool story as for me. It would be great to read more about that theme. Thanx for sharing this info.
Joan Stepsen
Cyprus call girls